Friday, October 3, 2014

Pant, Pant, Pants.

Well, let's hear it for goals achieved.
Hopefully.

I have spent the last six weeks preparing for the hot and sweaty hour I'm going to spend running tomorrow morning. I set a goal earlier this year of running a 10k race in under an hour, and I've spent most of the summer on long and short runs, learning the difference between a stride and an interval, figuring out tempo pace versus easy versus race pace.

Tomorrow's the day. I'm lacing up at Run Collingwood. It's a new race, only two years old, basically in my backyard, and some of the money raised from the race goes to the local hospital, so it's all good. If I don't hit my goal, I'm OK with that, too, because I've hit so many other goals along the way.,

I took up running three summers ago, as a way of slimming down and making memories with my family.

I had a number in mind on the scale, and I hit it in the first several months by eating less and moving more. The 'all about the bass' crowd doesn't want to hear this, but it's a pretty simple formula.

There are other benefits to running besides smaller pants. Research out this week shows exercise is one of the most potent methods to fight depression.

Imagine that- a way to fight two of the big troubles facing our entire society, obesity and depression, locked right there into two shoes, one foot in front of the other, for an hour and sometimes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.