Thursday, January 29, 2015

An Ounce at a Time

"Daddy always says an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure." - Julia Roberts as Shelby in Steel Magnolias


I'm can't wait to hear the first 'born-again' reference from my family during my upcoming month of alcohol abstinence. It will definitely be a clue to shut the hell up about it.

The born-again reference is the code my family uses to describe someone who's taken up something new and just. can't. stop. talking. about. it.

It happened for me with running, and don't even get me started on my farm-fresh food. (Seriously, don't. You'll be stuck with me for hours and I'll send you home with several soups and stews and we'll end up talking about terroir and nuances of grass-fed versus corn and you'll want to poke your eyes out with a stick rather than hear me blather on...)

Have you noticed it's the very rare person who has simply stopped eating gluten, saying nothing about it? It can be very entertaining to observe; if you ask even one or two casual questions, you can sometimes get a full 20 mintues out of them, especially if it's a very new discovery, their allergy or sensitivity. No one seems to just... go on a Paleo diet and quietly make the Paleo-appropriate choice at the restaurant without any discussion of their improved sleep and strength. The Crossfitters are the most entertaining of all in their very own special circle of born-againness, far more prepared to talk at length about their choices than even an organic, gluten-free vegan with a multi-level marketing scheme they're hoping to drag you into.

I'm not criticizing (OK, maybe a little...) - I do love the passion people exhibit for new habits and discoveries, even if I somehow suspect the passion is not going to last.

And now, I get to join them all!

I'll be booze-free for the month of February as part of the Simcoe County Health Unit's Ready to be Thirsty Campaign.

Hopefully. I do love to party and play, and alcohol is such a big part of that in our society.

If I'm successful, you'll be so tired of hearing about it, you're going to want to buy me a drink and shove it down my sanctimonious throat. If I fail, you're off the hook!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck Mariane. I have made it this far being alcohol free and only blundered well twice... but they were just half-glasses of beer.... None-the-less I am feeling good about being mostly booze free! Looking forward to talking to you at the end of the month. Leah - SMDHU

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.