Sunday, October 16, 2022

Oh, so many surveys!

 

I have received a lot of email in the last while, much of it from people who want to know where I stand on issues that are near and dear to their hearts, and I do my level best to get back to the people who reach out. 

But I have really been struggling with the volume of surveys and questionnaires.

Since taking office, I've tried to be respectful of everyone's time; both staff and council, while also being respectful of the rules of procedure and keeping my values in mind. I vote for what I think is right for the town.

So, I thought hard about it and here's the reply I sent to the many surveys and questionnaires that have come in:

 

Hello and thanks for reaching out.

I have received correspondence from more than a dozen groups like yours, all seeking detailed information about my stand on their particular interest. 

The questions pertain to but are not limited to: pickleball courts, tennis courts, climate change, current developments under discussion and/or construction, future hockey facilities, future arts facilities, additional housing, retention of neighbourhood character, the Sports Hall of Fame, speed limits, the paving of particular streets, the location of the hospital, adding bike lanes, prevention of the addition of bike lanes, limiting development, and promoting development. 

Some groups are asking me to sign pledges and others want to plumb the depths of my knowledge on their particular issue. Please be assured I have read all these enquiries and have thought seriously about all of them.

Here is my answer to the questions and questionnaires:

I will be a mayor for everyone, and I will listen to and seek to understand the perspectives of all our wonderful citizens. I have and will continue to take expert advice on the issues that come to the table.

Collingwood is growing rapidly and we need amenities and facilities to support our new neighbours and those of us who already live here. I promise to work toward these needed improvements by working collaboratively with council and staff and, most importantly, insisting on clean governance.

During my time so far in office, I have voted on hundreds of issues, I have learned about the powers and the limitations of municipal government. I have worked with the Conservation Authority and the County of Simcoe. I have supported moving forward on many issues such as the terminals, the water treatment plant, the deal with New Tecumseth on who pays for the water plant, careful work on the proposed Poplar Sideroad development, the Official Plan and budgets with tax increases of merely zero and one percent.

During this campaign, I have deliberately refrained from making empty promises. I will continue to work toward the improvements we need to make. I was raised here, enjoyed success elsewhere, and chose Collingwood for my forever home. I care deeply about this place and I will work tirelessly to create our very best future.

I live my values and I stand by my voting record. I have learned what the job of the Mayor is and it would be an honour to continue to serve.

Respectfully,

Mariane McLeod   

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.