Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15, 2010- Downtown Downtrodden?

I went to a lovely brunch with a dear girlfriend and her sweeetheart last weekend, and as we walked to our car, it was with some alarm I noticed how many businesses in downtown Collingwood aren't businesses any more.

The old bingo hall's been empty for years, of course, but as we drove home, I counted and there are now at least nine other storefronts that don't house stores right now.

Whether the empty storefronts are because of the recession, last summer's renovation or if they can be blamed on all the stores opening up at Blue, or even the big boxes in the west end, I don't know. But they're depressing and a little scary.

It's not like there's a dearth of people; Collingwood was as busy this weekend as I've ever seen it, just try to get a parking spot anywhere near the door of Loblaw, I dare you.

But I'm worried. I don't want my little downtown to start looking like the downtowns of hundreds of other little burgs, with sheets hung in the windows of storefronts, and the only action on the outskirts.

So, I'm taking some action, and voting with my feet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that odd, I was just thinking the same thing on the weekend when I noticed a store that was no longer a store... plus ominous signs in a couple of other places telling of 'final clearances'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe more people should take shopping downtown more seriously.

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.