Monday, August 22, 2011

Storms and Change

I've been worried about what we humans have done to the world for a while now, complaining about tasteless tomatoes bred for travel not nutrition and avoiding the use of my electric clothes dryer in hopes of cutting my carbon footprint. I recycle. I walk instead of driving, I buy local and I eat local.

All of this effort is in the hope that my puny efforts combined with yours, will help prevent what's being called the most urgent environmental catastrophe ever.

But we can't count out the power of nature, and yesterday was one of the days we got a reminder of just how small we all are when one of the most powerful tornadoes in Ontario's history came roaring off Lake Huron to devastate the town of Goderich, with its gorgeous little town square.

The people of Goderich are already banding together to start the cleanup, taking down the broken trees and clearing the streets. But it will be years before the repairs are done, years before they can put back together was was destroyed in just a few seconds.

I'm not saying this storm is connected to global climate change. I'm saying that there's so much to climate change, even the biggest of our little human brains will never get around it.

And so, as I take out the trash today, and the recycling and compost, I wonder if mother nature isn't more than capable of taking care of herself, no matter what we do. I wonder if she's not more than capable of taking care of us measly humans, too.

If there was nothing you could do to change the outcome of climate change, would you do anything differently? I'm just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.