Monday, October 24, 2011

When in Doubt...

...brazen it out!

I'm not sure who coined that phrase, but I decided to employ it as a technique in this weekend's Georgian Bay Reads, and I was shocked to discover, it really works!

Yes, after three years of being kicked out early, I finally defended a winning entry in the annual local literary smackdown.

Anne-Marie MacDonald's Fall on Your Knees is a dark tale, and I think I won the thing with my wholehearted embrace of its darkness, using humour.

I came up with a mantra that I repeated any chance I got, saying that Georgian Bay should read my choice because it contained treachery, depravity, obsession, attempted murder, accidental murder, lust, incest, miscegenation, lesbianism, incest, babies, suicide and JAZZ.

I turned the arguments against my book into arguments for it, and finally won.

Next year, I get to host the event, so at least I don't have to battle my way through the books. I get to watch the book battle as it happens.

But until then, the local libraries suggest you read Anne-Marie MacDonald's Fall on your Knees, it's dark, with treachery, depravity, obsession.... you get the drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.