Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Lines in Your Head

I almost burst out laughing during a newscast today, telling the story of a pair of alligators rescued from a backyard shed north of Toronto, where they were being kept as family pets.

I wasn't the story itself that made me laugh - it was the memory that came with it.

Nearly every time I hear the word, alligator, I am immediately transported back to the lazy summer days of my childhood, when lunch in our farmhouse was served promptly at 12:30, just as soon as Leave It To Beaver was over. The episode connected to the alligators is the one where the boys go to visit Captain Jack, the local keeper of the alligator farm, who told the boys if they were to fall into the alligator enclosure, the animals would not "chew your arm off, they would SAW it off!" Later, the children get their own alligator, and mayhem ensues.

I'm not sure how this particular line embedded itself in me, but it gets me, every single time.

The city of Red Deer also makes me giggle every single time I have to say it, but that's connected to a dirty joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.