Wednesday, September 26, 2018

My Comments at the Chamber of Commerce Candidates' Event

Thank you for being here and taking an active interest in local democracy and thanks to the chamber for organizing it.

I’m a first-time candidate, but no stranger to the political process. In my 20 year career in journalism, I’ve put the questions to candidates and councillors, MPs and MPPs, wardens and mayors, even a general or two. I’ve been getting answers to the questions you would ask.

Collingwood needs a town council that is curious, keen,
and eager to embrace the future while honouring our past and taking care of the natural beauty that makes this place such a treasure.

I will vote to implement all the recommendations that come from the judicial inquiry, I’ll work to find a way to use and keep the terminals, and I’ll vote to be reasonable and responsible with your tax dollars.

But remember, you’re not just choosing a council based on the issues that we are discussing during this campaign season, you’re picking people you trust to make decisions on issues that haven’t been identified yet.

It’s important to have at the table the perspective of people like me, who walked the halls of CCI, who saw a side launch with their very own eyes, and who paid their tuition by working at places like Harding Carpets.

It’s also important to have the perspective of people who, like me, made a deliberate choice to live here, just like thousands of your fellow citizens and the thousands who are on their way.

You have heard my voice on CKCB, "dominant news voice of Simcoe County". For nearly a decade you heard my voice on 680 News and CHFI in Toronto. The last 11 years, you heard my voice questioning local leaders and decision makers at the radio station down the street.

Now, no matter where you’re from, I can be your voice at the council table, continuing to ask the hard questions and getting answers so our decisions are based on facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.