Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010 - Finishing Up

I always thought I was a finisher. 'Get the job done, even if it's not perfect.' But I've had to have a wee re-think on that, considering I am just now, four long years after beginning a modest renovation on a powder room, finishing it off.

To be fair, it was an unintentional renovation. I just wanted to see whether there was real oak underneath that hideous grey paint. By the time I got five layers of paint off one wainscoted wall, I had ruined the linoleum. Since I was pulling up the linoleum, it only stands to reason I should get rid of the ugly vanity, and if the vanity had to go, we might as well get a new loo, the low-flow, environment-friendly kind, and since we're putting in a sink, well, we might as well pull out that ugly cupboard while we're at it. Plus, in addition to the five layers of paint, (probably lead paint, which would explain a lot..), there were three layers of wallpaper, and I had to learn how to tile and grout.

But still; four years?!

Again, to be fair, two of those years were foolishly spent waiting for the return of a plumber after I said, 'Oh, I'm not in a hurry..." when he asked when I wanted some pipes moved and replaced. Happily, in November, my sweetheart and his friends found the time to rip out the old pipes and replace them with new ones. Funny enough we now have extra water pressure upstairs, too.

And finally, I can see the finish line. I've figured out the basic carpentry (and only had to re-purchase one the boards for the bulkhead after screwing it up...), I've boxed in the new pipes, installed a piece of drywall, mudded, sanded, and today could be the day I paint. We'll see. I have even figured out how I'm going to repair the trim I mangled in my excitement to install the new sink. A lovely carpenter gifted me with a nailset, so my new trim will be tidy.

Yes, in another couple of months, after I've used up my last excuse, I will finally be able to say, "Oh, indeed, I did the whole thing myself; it wasn't hard at all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.