Friday, September 23, 2011

Bittersweet tarts

As the old joke goes, I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun YOU. And so I claim victory over my buddy in the 'butter tart smackdown' at the GNE.

However, if you visit the baking section, off behind the quilts and photographs at the Collingwood fair this weekend, you won't see my butter tarts in first place. They're in second. But not second to my buddy's, so, I win, even though I lose.

Oh, my loss is a very sad state of affairs. My sweetie and all my friends will have to suffer through a year of taste-testing and perfecting. Yes, very sad indeed.

I think what might have landed me in second place was probably neatness. My penmanship always got me in trouble at school, too. The tarts I entered didn't have a smooth perfect edge to them; they're uneven with little ripples where the pastry was a teeny bit too big for the pan. I could have spent a lot more time trying to smooth out those edges to give them a perfectly round appearance. I could maybe have been a little more fussy. Watch out for some fussy looking tarts this time next year as I try to win back the title.

I did win the apple pie competition, but you won't see my woven lattice top on the Cortland apples, since the sponsor of the class gets to keep the pie. I get ten dollars prize money and bragging rights. And trust me when I say I plan to be insufferable about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.