Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Butter Tart Smackdown

The gauntlet is down.

One of my friends has picked up the challenge I've been offering this week about the local fair, the GNE. Two years ago, my butter tarts won the red ribbon, and I've been pretty much insufferable about it.

This week on the radio I've been bragging again, having decided to re-enter the competition and asking for as many bakers as possible to join me. My buddy says he's up for the challenge.

It's not the first time.

This same friend and his wonderful wife were our very first dinner guests after I moved up here to marry my sweetie. I pulled out all the stops that night and at the end of the meal, he said he couldn't just eat an offering like mine without trying to top it. Thus began what we call "gauntlet" dinners, where we try to out-do each other's culinary feats, the only proviso being the meal has to be made from scratch. He's famous for his ribs, but I countered with a Thai feast and handmade sushi. One magical night, I was blown away by his classic Beef Wellington.

Our respective spouses are very encouraging of this competition.

We'll see if the spouses get tired of sampling the tarts.
Somehow, I doubt it.

Today's the day to pull out your flour if you want to join in the competition, whether it's butter tarts you're making or if you want to show off your skill with apple pie or preserves. The Collingwood Fair runs Friday to Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.