Thursday, January 5, 2012

Anticipation

I wonder sometimes if the accelerated culture Douglas Coupland talked about wasn't necessarily in reference to technology but instead about how we have stopped savouring in favour of anticipation.

We seem to be so quick to get on with things, are we actually missing them while they're happening? I was still working on the last of the Hallowe'en candy as I sorted through the Christmas decorations this fall. I missed the Boxing Day sales because I was celebrating Christmas with my family and at the stores I was at yesterday, it's already Valentine's!

I was saddened but dutifully got on board. My less-festive tree is now hauled to the curb and I have carefully put away the glass ornaments I had so looked forward to putting up just a few short weeks ago.

I've burned the last of the red candles and have rounded up the bows and wee things I put on windowsills and hang from the doorknobs. They're going into the red box in the basement that holds them just as soon as I get home.

This afternoon, I'm very much looking forward to sipping water in my suddenly larger, cleaner, Christmas-free house. I anticipate baking nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.