Monday, February 20, 2012

Other People's Families

There's nothing like a family get-together to provide a reminder of where you come from. And there's nothing like someone else's family get-together to remind you that you're normal.

I sometimes worry that the relationships I have with my siblings are strange, weird, boring, not close enough, too close, somehow lacking in some way. Every time we get together, it's a different lack that strikes me. But no longer. I was recently at two occasions for other people's families, one sad, one happy, and watching the family dynamics was very instructive.

At a funeral a few weeks ago, there were siblings and cousins who were clearly barely acquainted with one another, others were very close and intimate, and a few were completely absent. At a baby shower not long ago, some relatives sat very very close together, some stayed in the kitchen and others sent a gift along with someone else.

It struck me, as I played Barbie with my four year old niece, there might actually be no weird and there likely is no normal, either. What a relief!
It's just a family.
I hope you got to spend Family Day with your family, and if not, then I hope you spent it with the family you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.