Monday, February 27, 2012

Why I Watch

With apologies to Jane Austen, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a waiflike actress in possession of a designer dress must be in need of a red carpet.

Oh, let's not kid ourselves; we watch the Oscars for the dresses. The dresses and the mocking, since most years, none of us has actually seen the movies that are up for honours at the Academy Awards.

My friends on facebook and twitter did so well this year, but they had it pretty easy when it came to thing to poke fun at, what with Angelina Jolie's odd leg-thrusting pose and Sandra Bullock's too-tight pony tail, It was a feast for the mockers. My favourite comment of the night was from my friend Jane who wondered whether anyone else noticed that Meryl Streep appeared to be the same outfit as she wore in Death Becomes Her. Zoikes!

However, none of my yearly Oscar giggles match one I have each year when I remember working in a newsroom in Toronto, the telecast came on and the young woman I was paired with at the time asked, without out kidding or irony, "These are the Academy Awards, right? So, when are the Oscars?" It makes me giggle every year, no matter who puts out their leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.