Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: Best Laid Plans

It's no wonder to me Terry Fallis' self-published first book has been such a success. I'm only disappointed it took me so long to get to it, in the stack of stuff beside my bed.

Best Laid Plans is a delightful romp through the back halls of Canada's parliament, including infidelity, romance, a doomed election campaign, sexual shenanigans, engineers, chess and a hovercraft. It's especially fun to read in this true-blue Tory riding where I'm sure there are still a few Liberals who dream and hope for a similar story to play out here.

The story follows the departure from political life of a speechwriter and PhD, who agrees to do one last thing for the Liberal Party, and that is, mount a campaign in a riding that has voted Conservative for ever and is likely to continue to do so.

Just the description of the narrator discovering his beloved cheating on him is worth the cover price. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm loving it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.