Thursday, July 31, 2014

Kitchen Adventure Review: Pretentious Burger

I think I might be sold on my pretentious veggie non-burgers.

They were a lot of work, what with the 17 ingredients, some of which needed to be roasted beforehand, but most new recipes are a lot of work the first time. One finds a rhythm and shortcuts in subsequent makings.

The New York Times Ultimate Veggie Burger lived up to is name with a satisfying meatiness that was different than beef, but excellent. There was a hint of falafel about them, even though there were no chickpeas involved.

The patties cooked on the barbecue five minutes a side. They were hot right through and I noticed that I had no concern about whether they were cooked enough. They took on grill marks just like a 'real' burger and held their shape. I see myself making them and putting them in the freezer for a quick-cooking meal in the winter, when my extracurriculars sometimes mean rushed mealtimes.

When I make them next time, I will make a few changes: I would divide this recipe into eight patties instead of six. I made five, thinking as I formed the patties that they they seemed small. It turns out they weren't small and they didn't shrink like hamburgers do when cooked, so they were huge and very filling once I got them on the table.

Also, if I'm choosing the veggie patty instead of a burger for the sake of calories rather than taste or ethics, I will switch out the cashews for some other nut. By my calculations, each of the five patties I made came in at a whopping 450 calories. Add the bun and your 'burger' is 570 calories - more than a Big Mac, although without the excess fat and salt and ethical issues involving underpaid foreign workers in slaughterhouses and fast food joints. Smaller patties and almonds instead of cashews should bring them in line, calories-wise.

Here's how I know I will make these again: I brought them to work for my breakfast, and I never, never do that with leftover beefburgers. That said, Sweetie didn't take any, and he always, always takes the leftover beefburgers. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.