Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26, 2010, Yellow Dog Simcoe Grey

I try to avoid politics on this page, if only because it's such a blessed relief from all the politics I have to read about and absorb day-to-day. But I can't avoid comment on the behaviour of our MP.

In case you missed it, MP Helena Guergis has apologised for what she calls an 'emotional' outburst on a trip through the airport at Charlottetown February 19th, when she arrived late for a flight and became abusive with Air Canada Jazz staff members, security personnel and apparently anyone within earshot.

Now, I'm no politician, (nor a diplomat, as my family often reminds me), but if my husband were currently negotiating a plea bargain on cocaine posession and drunk driving charges, I'm pretty sure I'd be extra nice to everyone around me until the case was settled.

Furthermore, if I had been demoted within the federal cabinet during the last shuffle, I'd try to be extra nice to everyone around, in the hope of at least keeping the 56-thousand in extra salary that comes with the cabinet post, junior though it is.

Also, if the aforementioned husband were the only tory in all of Alberta to lose his seat in the last election, I'd be extra careful of my temper, just in case the people of Simcoe-Grey got any ideas.

But that's just me.

(Yellow Dog Democrat is a term applied to a US voter who can be counted on to cast their vote for a democrat regardless of whose name is on the ballot. It comes from the elections following the Civil War, when some southern states were said to be willing to vote for a yellow dog as long as it wasn't a Republican, like Abraham Lincoln. Simcoe Grey has voted conservative since Confederation, with the short exception of the years during the Conservative/Alliance split in the 1990s. It could be safely described as a yellow dog riding, if Canada had such a thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.