Friday, February 5, 2010

February 5, 2010- Unhand Me!

Nearly every woman who's spent any time at Vaughn Mills mall can tell the same story- of the man at the kiosk who grabs your hand and buffs one of your fingernails in the hope you'll buy his 'real silk' buffing block. Until it happened, I wouldn't have been able to tell you there was any such thing as a buffing block, much less one with 'real silk' as one of its features.

I can't imagine he has many sales. I didn't even find out the price, I was so freaked out by a guy with such a firm grip holding my hand and rubbing one fingernail until it was hot and shiny, all the while murmuring to me in an Egyptian-sounding accent about the 'real silk' in the product. I walked away in a daze, feeling violated in some vague way, but two days later, boy was that fingernail still shiny.

I have actually contemplated going back to that mall just to buy that buffing block, but I was hoping perhaps Mr. Creepy Hands had a less-creepy cousin, or perhaps a sister. Now, I don't have to, thanks to a little too much time spent at the drug store, looking for something else.

Waaay down at the bottom of a wall of nail-and-skin type accessories, as I contemplated which scrubber would best take off the scales we all seem to grow on our feet in the winter, there it was, in its $6.49 glory: a buffing block, very similar to the one used by Mall Man. Who knew these things existed except in the steely grip of a foreign-sounding stranger?

I snapped it up, and could hardly wait to get home to see whether the drugstore model worked as well as the weird stranger's at the mall.

I'm here to tell you, I am now sporting the shiniest nails I've ever had, hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.