Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25, 2010- Revitalization Review

I would love to sing the praises of the 'new' Collingwood downtown, but I just can't.

It would be so satisfying to say to the nay-sayers, "look, it was a lot of time and trouble, but ain't it grand now it's done?"

I can't think grand when I'm waiting what seems like a lifetime to drive three *&%#%&@# blocks.

When I was growing up in the country, it was nearly a rule that you simply had to drive down the main street if you were coming to town.

Now, even though it's (mostly) open, I have been avoiding it like the plague. It's not the bricks, they're gorgeous, it's not the widened sidewalks, they're also terrific.

It's the sticky-outy sidewalks at the intersections. I don't know what they're called, but they're a stupid waste of my time. Were pedestrians really being run down by right-turning drivers at such a rate that we had to take the sneak-around right turn option away completely?


The few times I've driven down it so far, it's been agony. Not just because of all the empty storefronts, but also because every single time, I get caught behind someone who wants to turn right but can't, and I'm stuck there, staring at the aforementioned empty storefronts for far too long.

And don't even get me started on the location of the patios: it's the least-liked decision I've heard of since I moved here.

Saint Marie and Minnesota, you're my new best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.