Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28, 2010- Sympathy for the Protesters

Well, that was exciting.

Aren't you glad we got to show off our biggest, brightest, most diverse and peaceful city to the world at the big summit over the weekend?
Aren't you glad we just spent more than billion dollars to fund extra-special vacations or renovations for a lot of cops and PR flaks?

I am not actually that excited to pay so much for.... I don't quite know what.
But I know this in my heart of hearts: Nothing that happened at the g8 and g20 took ordinary, regular voting folks like me and you into consideration.

Furthermore, I bet you twenty bucks if you asked your 12 closest friends this morning, you would not find one who thinks much of any real importance was accomplished at these meetings. Those same people would also tell you there's no way their interests were being looked out for.

But you'll also find your dozen friends confused about the protests. We can't really understand what the meeting's for, and we know we have no say in what happens, so it seems a little silly to take to the streets to be truncheoned.

I have to say, though, I have a speck of admiration for the misguided but passionate folks who get angry and violent. The rest of us are pretty sure we're not being listened to or cared about, and know that billions of dollars are being wasted and that somehow, we're likely getting screwed. But instead of doing anything about it, we're having another beer.

At least the protesters are trying to make their so-called democracy, democratic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.