Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September 8, 2010 - Asking the Voters

While I don't write about it often, I am an avid follower of local politics and every time I'm out and about, I spend time asking people I meet where they stand on issues and what they think about what's going on in town. I have my own ideas, but I like to hear what other people are thinking, and quite often, the points others make are good enough to sway me.

While in some circles, it seems the municipal election is already decided, the people I've been listening to have certainly not made up their minds. Although some of my acquaintances are despairing over their choices, or what they see as a lack thereof.

One man I talked to at a party this weekend told me he didn't want to see a particular group of candidates get elected, because he was worried they were all connected to one another, either through family or business matters. While he said he didn't have a problem the candidates in this group as individuals, he felt it wouldn't be good for the town for there to be, as he saw it, a form of one-party rule.

He's got a point, but then again, maybe if a group that agreed on things were elected, there would be at least a semblance of collegiality at the council table. On the other hand, if everyone were in agreement all the time, what would happen if the group fell under the spell of a particular developer or set of ideas out of whack with the electorate?

It's worth thinking about, and I am heartened to know there are thoughtful people making careful decisions with their ballots.

2 comments:

  1. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Educate yourself, do some research and make an informed decision. If you don't vote ... you should not have the luxury of complaining when things go wrong ... which usually happens - at least to some degree.

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.