Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Christmas Gamble

I've been struggling this Christmas with charity, and I don't think I'm alone wondering how it's possible so very many people could possibly need as much stuff as is being donated to food banks and toy drives.

I don't mean to be all Scroogy, but seriously, I saw turkeys for a $1.49 a pound at one of the grocery stores this week, which translates to only about 10 bucks for a decent-sized bird.

If they're that cheap, how is is possible there are people lining up at 7 this morning at Chris Dopp's mortgage brokerage to get a free one? And (OK, this IS a bit scroogy...) if you can get up at 7 am to get a free turkey, why can't you get up at 7am to go to a job?

I am confused, wondering whether some of the people receiving all our donations might not be simply cheap, perhaps lazy or maybe even scamming the system.

Before you think me a big meany, let me tell you I know for a fact there are people in assisted housing who use whatever welfare is called now for huge plasma TVs, iPhones and $10-a-day cigarette habits. No, not all of them, but they do exist and let's not pretend otherwise.

I put these uncomfortable facts to some lovely friends of mine at a gathering this week and their reply was, "I'm OK with that."

"How?" I wanted to know.

They explained how they see their Christmas giving: It's a gamble. Yes, there are cheaters and liars and thieves. But there are also people in genuine need, who are working hard but somehow just not getting their chunk of the pie. My friends said they are confident SOME of their giving gets to those people, so it's worth it.

That's the conundrum of giving, isn't it: is knowing you're being ripped off OK if you also know at least a bit of your largess is going where it belongs?

Come to think of it, we wrap up those gadgets and geegaws and put them under the tree for our loved ones trying, but never really knowing if the present is going to be appreciated. But we give anyway, gambling that we will hit the mark and make someone's day.

1 comment:

  1. I admire that you have finally said what a lot of people - me too, quite often - think. No doubt, some, maybe many, will try to take you to task, but IF they do, they have not read, nor thought about the entire scope of your words. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.