Monday, December 5, 2011

To Card or Not to Card

It's not exactly Shakespeare, but it is a question facing some of us this Christmas, as technology continues seep into every corner of our lives.

For a lot of us, the question of whether to send Christmas greetings in the mail has already been decided long ago.

I have 271 friends on facebook, and most of them are also on my Christmas card list, so why would I bother picking up a pen and buying stamps when I can send a Christmas greeting to every one of them with two dozen keystrokes and the click of a mouse?

But still, Bing Crosby didn't sing about status updates, did he?

While I debated whether to bring out the big box and start addressing Christmas cards I snap up at the Boxing Day sales every year, my first missive of the season landed in the mailbox, right there beside the hydro bill.

It was a hand-addressed wish for a happy end to the year from someone I care about, but rarely see. They had taken the time to write my name. In pen, and they even slipped in a picture of their adorable little kids with the sparkly silver card.

It made my day. So it only makes sense to try to make some other friend's day. I'm hauling out my pen, and looking for my address book, the one with with the postal codes.

Hey, what do stamps cost these days?

1 comment:

  1. Mariane, you ask what a stamp costs these days. Well if you are posting 34 cards back to England it costs $75!! Admittedly about half had a letter and photos of the kids in, but what the heck, it's only once a year. I think next year I shall cut down on the number I send, especially to those who are on FAcebook. But I shall still make the effort to write to those back home who are not computer literate, especially those of the older generation who don't even have a computer. After all, it is Christmas, and like you said, the joy you get from knowing someone has taken the time to write personally to you rather than just hitting a few computer keys is wonderful. Even if it means staying up to 1am so you can beat the last posting date to England because even though you say every year you are going to be more organised and start in October it never happens!! Merry Christmas, Angela

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.