Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Helicopter Music


I can totally understand how people become the 'helicopter' parents so many people disparage these days.

If I could take the place of my two little piano students, brave the long walk down into the sanctuary at First Pres. today and play the songs from the Royal Conservatory Grade Two, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd love to spare them the stress and ensure their success.

But of course, I can't do it for them, and I shouldn't. My job has been to inspire, cajole, advise and threaten them so they will do the work themselves, and for this year, my job as their teacher is over. Well, except for the post-test ice cream.

One of my wee students seems to be quite nervous about today while the other seems pretty sanguine about the whole thing. I know they're both completely capable of playing well enough to pass the test, but whether nerves will get the better of them is the question that cost me some sleep last night. Yes, I was so nervous about whether they'd be nervous, I lost sleep over it.

Right now, I'm kind of glad I don't have any children of my own. I'd be a complete wreck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.