Tuesday, June 5, 2012

New, But Not Exactly Fresh

Most days, at the end of my workday, I'm in rather a rush to get home. Usually, I have a long list of chores I want to get done or a book I want to finish. Today, I don't want to go home at all.

My sweetie called me at about 7 o'clock this morning. He almost never calls me at work, and upon hearing his voice, I was instantly apprehensive. Sick mother? Accident? Can't find the coffee?

Well, it seems our dear darling dog made a new friend very early today. Emma is a pointer and she takes very seriously her self-appointed role of keeping our property free of birds and chipmunks and squirrels and other vermin. They seem to always return, but are generally chagrined for a few minutes after she's chased them across the lawn and through the flowerbeds.

This morning, Emma met a critter that didn't run, at least, not very far. Yup, a wee skunk ran from the crazed barking dog, found its way between the fence and the tub, and then let fly with the most awful, horrible, foul and nasty stench imaginable.

Sweetie says he managed to get the doggie away fairly quickly, but with a cloud of skunk spray rolling through the backyard, he's not sure whether she took a direct hit or if perhaps he did.

He says it's pretty bad, his nose so full of the stuff, it's like he's Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon, with a cloud around him wherever he goes. But he had to escape to work and would I pick up some of that 'stuff' people use to clean up the dog and the house?

Does anyone want to join me for a long, long lunch date today? I don't wanna go home!

Update: It appears neither dog nor husband was badly hit by the skunk fumes. The hot tub, however, and the wall behind it may never be the same. The doggie is getting a bath regardless. Just to teach her a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.