Friday, January 18, 2013

Cheating on my Inner Bitter Ender

Seriously, it's time to do some reading.

I thought I might have forgotten how, thanks to Hilary Mantel and her massive Henry the VIII tome, Wolf Hall. The first three hundred pages were gripping, but sometime in September around page 410, it started to drag, and I haven't been able to get through it. Because I'm a 'bitter ender', I have not read anything but magazine articles while the tome sits accusingly on my bedside table. I play bejewelled or read Canadian Running, Real Simple or the Walrus, but I just can't pick up another novel. It feels like cheating; I have to finish reading what I'm reading even if it every page is like poison to me (full disclosure: I stole that line from Linda Holmes of Pop Culture Happy Hour).

And then, I found something worse than Wolf Hall and broke the spell. I thought, "I'll find something as different as possible, and I'll be fine not being a bitter ender any more..." Well, what I found for five bucks in the second hand store on Second street couldn't be more different and yet somehow managed to be worse.

How did Carrie Fisher's memoir, Wishful Drinking even get published, I ask you?
The only nice thing I have to say about the poorly written, badly punctuated non-revelatory revelations are they were mostly spelled correctly, and even that leaves a bitter taste. However it did break the Mantel Spell. I'm free, free at last!

Someone, anyone, recommend something, anything!
Please don't let that piece of crap be the last thing I ever read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.