Monday, January 7, 2013

What I learned in 2012

During the first week of this year, after recovering from my annual hangover, I have spent some time thinking about what I managed to extract from the previous year, learning-wise (pardon the pun).

Here's my list so far, in no particular order:

Fair and equal are not the same thing.
My mother tried to instill this one into a much younger me as I divided the 750ml bottle of Coke into three glasses on Saturday night while the Leafs were playing and my brothers and I were home. I don't think it really 'took' until more recently.

I need to read more novels.
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall is still on my bedside table, accusing me of being a quitter, and I haven't picked up anything but magazines since I became a quitter of Hilary Mantel novels, back in October.

Friends are not family.
OK, I didn't learn this one, this year, but I want to rant about it a bit. I'm so very tired of people who say things like, 'We're so close, we're like family! She's a sister to me!" I call BS! You can stop being friends with a friend when they disappoint or betray you. You cannot stop being a sibling to your siblings, no matter what they do or how much you would like to. I have plenty of former friends, but no former siblings.

Being thin(ish) takes a lot of effort.
It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.