Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 19, 2010- Staycation

I'm enjoying an extra-long long weekend this week, using up the vacation time I just didn't manage to take over the last year. I certainly never thought I'd be one of those people forced to take their holidays, but when you love what you do, it's not hard to find several months slipping by.

It's tragic, really, how the weather has turned, leaving me basking in sunshine and 20s, just in time for the week off. Now, don't tell 97.7's Garden Guru, Heather Ritchie, but yesterday, I went ahead and planted the tomatoes I had grown in a sunny south-facing window this spring. I'm pretty sure we're safe from any more freezes. We now enter watering season.

My plans for this week were simple: I was going to read. I was going to sit in my backyard and read the big stack of magazines and books that have been growing and growing on my bedside table. Haven't cracked one yet. First, there was a rather full weekend, then a Toronto visit with a girlfriend for an awesome dinner and much giggling. That was followed by a morning at the St. Lawrence Market, where there are still a few things for sale that I can't get up here; not many any more, but just try to find Wakame for miso soup anywhere "north of nine".

Today, I really will sit down, I swear - just as soon as I return the wrong-sized cushions for our outdoor chairs and replace them with the right-sized ones. Oh, and walk the dog and hang some laundry and move those plants that are crowded by the rhubarb, and while I'm at it, make a rhubarb pie and mow the lawn and .... I think I know why people wanting a rest actually leave town!

Once I finally manage to sit, these are the books I'm planning to finish this week: I Am Hutterite, Making Toast, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Imperfectionists. Two memoirs, two novels. A nice balance. Better get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.