Wednesday, October 13, 2010

October = Arts, Apparently I

I'm not sure what the deal is with October, but it seems to be all arts, all the time, and I'm having a curious case of needing to go to a gallery.


Saturday night, it's the Creemore Mocks film festival, which is really just a great excuse to get together, drink some beer and have a laugh or two. You'd be amazed at the professional level of the movies- maximum five minutes each, and where once they were required to be a mockumentary, now, they just have to be funny.


I have about nine ideas for a film of my own, but so far, I've proven far too lazy to actually do the work. One of my ideas is documenting (mockumenting?) a church choir that sings non-church songs in a very church way, (complete with vibrato). Imagine your granny singing, 'She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean...." Another is to mockument the transformation of a Bay Street mover and shaker to a would-be farmer, using several stops along Airport Road and several changes of clothes and attitude from Mercedes to beatup pickup. At the end, the person transformed would be selling derivatives at the farmer's market--but the new derivatives would come from potato and rye rather than of mortgage backed securities. A third might be a handy dictionary of words one only hears 'north of nine'. Like 'gaffle' and 'up aggin'; favourites in certain circles. Maybe I'll get up the gumption to make one of them next year. Which is, of course, what I said last year.


Happily, I have been invited to host the event again, and I'm very excited to be pulling out at least one new joke. I used my two 'bonspiel standbys' last year, so I'll have to use my backup joke this year. I've already warned my mother about it, because it's just the teeniest bit dirty.


Next up is Georgian Bay Reads, in Thornbury, where I'm not a host, but a defender. I'll tell you more about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.