Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Perfect Electoral Record

I follow politics, but clearly with more bemusement than expertise.

My record when it comes to predicting elections is nearly spotless. Not even when I was running for student council at CCI or for head prefect did I manage to accurately predict the outcome. I'm like a weatherman of politics; very good at assessing what's happened, but not so great at predicting it.

For example, I wore a red hat to the polling station the day Brian Mulroney got the biggest majority in Canadian parliamentary history. I wore blue the day Jean Chretien got his big win. I used to be glued to the leadership campaigns no matter which party was choosing - you'd think I'd develop some sense of how it was going to go.

But no, you can pretty much bet that if I figure someone's going to win or lose or if I expect a close vote, voting day will show the exact opposite.

Now, I did expect that Sandra Cooper would win the mayor's position in Collingwood, but I sure didn't think her totals would be fourfold that of her closest challenger. Wow.

I also thought Norm Sandberg would somehow squeak out a victory, or at least have a good showing, but he was basically crushed by voters who want a less fractious council table, patios buildingside and a building instead of a hole at Hume and Hurontario. They're hoping to get all that from this new-look council.

I'm glad I didn't go on the record with my bad predictions.
Oops. I guess I just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.