Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hockey Grudge

I was expecting hard feelings in the studio today, but instead, I just might be able to go back to watching hockey. Maybe. If I can find a team I like.

Kerry Fraser, NHL referee, was a guest on my talk show as he continues his book-promotion tour. I have wanted to talk to him for a while. 17 years or so. It's the Gretzky/Gilmour thing. I haven't been able to get over it, and wanted him to know my pain.

Before you say, 'SEVENTEEN YEARS?! Move On!" be aware there are some Canadians of Scottish descent who aren't yet 'over' Culloden or the Clearances. 1745. Look it up.

Back in '93, I was the proud recipient of a substantial award for a documentary I had produced at college. I was watching overtime in game six in the semi-final NHL series between Los Angeles and Toronto with the 'phone in my hand, ready to spend those hard-earned dollars on Stanley Cup final tickets for the series between Montreal and Toronto. You know the rest.

What Fraser told me Friday is that he does indeed feel bad for me and for all fans because of the missed call on Gretzky, but he feels worse for his parents, whose cars were vandalized that night by crazed fans, fans who had driven from Windsor to Sarnia to dispense some 'justice'. He says his mother has kept a whistle near the 'phone ever since, to fend off the crazies who call her to complain about her son.

I was angry and disappointed, but I simply cannot imagine doing anything violent against the parent of someone who made a mistake in a game. Some hockey fans are weird. That, and the Leafs are terrible. No wonder I don't watch any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.