Saturday, April 30, 2011

Late Bunny

The fish trumped the bunny and so my family missed Easter this year.

Fishin' season weekend was the same weekend as Easter, a rare event, but since the calendar fell that way, there was absolutely no chance of getting together for a family dinner. For some people, like my sweetie, fishin' season weekend is New Year's Eve, their birthday and Christmas all wrapped up in one chilly, yearly camping experience. Family Easter dinner on his side was two weeks ago, and ours will be this weekend. But not before we do the most optimistic thing I've seen in a long, long time. Well, it's my mother's doing.

She is (well, we are, OK, my brothers and husband are) planting trees today on the farm my grandfather bought in 1921. My grandpa was a prodigious tree planter, and when I was growing up there, the grounds were covered with the plum and apple and pear trees he had planted. Over the last dozen years, though, a lot of the fruit trees have died off or fallen down. Today's replacements are sugar maple saplings, apparently with trunks about an inch in diameter. My mother is 69 years old this year, so she will never see these trees full grown. But they're going in anyway, a legacy on the land. I don't know if the property will remain in the family, but I sure hope the trees do well and find their way into a bright future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.