Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Universe Telling Me Something?

I'm in in the market for a new vehicle. Two of them, actually, since the rust buckets in my driveway are 15 and 13 years old respectively. My sweetheart and I believe in taking care of our vehicles and driving them 'til they drop, and we figure the day they die is getting close.

13 years out of the car-buying market is a long time. A lot has happened. In addition to the bankruptcies and bailouts, there are the redesigns. "What's a crossover?" my sweetie asked a few weeks ago as we headed to the first of several dealerships we've visited so far. At the end of that day, he wanted the 4-door Jeep. After the next test-drives, he wanted some sort of crossover thingy that was far, far out of our price range. At each of the dealerships we've been to, he finds something else he just loves. It's going to be a long summer.

As for me, the situation is not nearly so confusing. I adore my 13 year old car, have loved it since before I bought it and I will simply buy another of the same model when mine gives up the ghost. The only question for me is what colour.

Although, I did see the car of my dreams last night, the one I sincerely doubt will ever reside in the same tax bracket as me. The Audi TT. It's just...breathtaking. I fell in love with it the first time I saw one daintily picking its way down Wellington Street in Toronto about 10 years ago. It's a convertible with classic lines and a playful insouciance that speaks to me. It's also completely impractical, which also speaks to me. I hardly ever see them, which tells me even more about its price, and frankly, I don't even want to think about that; I want to keep it as a happy dream. A dream where I wear a scarf and there's a picnic basket in the back seat...

Right behind my dream car in the grocery store parking lot last night, were the two vehicles I'd like to see my sweetheart driving sometime between now and Christmas. They met each other in the traffic lane behind the Audi, a white, 4-door Jeep and a beige-brown Lexus crossover, the vastly expensive crossover I think would be just perfect for him. Right there in front of me as I toted home my bread and fruit, a confluence of dream cars.

I'm sure it was a sign. I'm just not sure a sign of what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.