Friday, May 11, 2012

Ready Questions

How long do I let a book moulder on the bedside table I can give up on it?

At what point does a well-intentioned gift become a piece of furniture, requiring dusting?

How long do I have to wait to give back a borrowed book, unread?

If I give back a borrowed book, unread, can I lie and say I read it, based on the reviews and maybe a wikipedia entry?

These are the questions eating at me as I struggle to get through several volumes that are piling up. It's getting silly, really.

I want to be inspired by Thomas Friedman's Hot, Flat and Crowded, I really would. It's certainly fascinating work, effectively connecting climate change and the US financial meltdown and a bunch of other scary stuff. If the solutions he proposes are as big as the problems I may start to despair, but I'm not there yet. I read at night lately, and at one page before I fall asleep, it's taking me a million years to get through the damn thing

It's taken so long to wade through Hot, Flat and Crowded, I have basically ignored the biography of Peter Gzowski loaned to me and sitting accusingly on the nightstand. I quite admired Morningside, but I already know the big surprises in the biography because of all the hand-wringing on the CBC when it came out. It appears a massively talented guy was an egotist, womanizer and deadbeat dad. Really. What a surprise. Frankly, I'm not sure I want to spend any time finding out more about a guy who appears, from the several interviews with the author I've heard, to have been such a jerk when the microphone was off.

Maybe I'll go back to the Twilight Series. Again. Light and frothy might be what I'm looking for. It is spring, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.