Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Running Partner

I am trying hard not to put any pressure on my new running partner, but I can barely contain my excitement and hope.

I guess I should call him my 'additional' running partner, since I already have the one, my beautiful and amazing Emma. But while she's fun and funny, she doesn't always keep up her end of the conversation when we talk, mostly because she's a dog. Furthermore, since she is now what's called a 'senior dog', she sometimes doesn't keep up with the running part of our runs, either.

Yesterday, my sweetheart and I spent a good part of our afternoon at Sporting Life, getting amazing service from a young helper, and buying two pairs of men's running shoes. Later in the day, Sweetie took his first tentative steps in what I'm hoping will be our running career together. He has a history of foot problems, but he's game to give it a try after seeing the success I've enjoyed over the last year. Frankly, he's enjoyed my success, too, I say with a wink and a nudge.

We're following the same program I started a year ago, called 'Couch Potato to Five K". There is no plan for a race just yet, but over the course of the next 10-12 weeks, we should be able to run together for about a half an hour at a time.

It's not just about companionship on the trails, it's actually about companionship later in life. You see, I think running could be a valueable part of my devious plan to avoid early widowhood. While I know lots of lovely widows who are active and mostly happy and fulfilled, I don't want to be one, and with a history of heart problems and early death for the men in Sweetie's family, I'm pleased as punch he's willing to take a few steps toward better health and a longer life.

Here's hoping he can walk this morning after yesterday's adventure, so we can toddle off for run number two tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. hey guys!

    congrats on the running ... even if it's just really getting started. out of concern for charley's reported 'foot problems', i definitely recommend paying attention to running technique - it's made a world of difference for several people that i know. here's a great instructional video: http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2012/03/06/video-the-principles-natural-running/

    happy trails!

    patrick

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.