Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August 10, 2010- Drawing Profits

Hmmm...horse-drawn carriages in downtown Collingwood?

They'll be operating by the end of the week, providing tourists and perhaps a few romantic locals with a chance to ride around the town sans engine. It's kitschy, but kinda cute, too.

I'm divided on the issue.

On one hand, I avoided the Village at Blue for the longest time, objecting to its fake facades (really, a fake fire hall? come On!), until I had an awesome meal at the Greek place, with a calibre of dining we never would have enjoyed without the massive development, Disney-style or not.

On the other hand, seriously, horse-drawn carriages? Are we completely out of cliches?

But then, I think about Frankenmuth, Michigan, a little nowhere town in the most depressed state in the US. I was there as a tourist a few weeks ago. While much of the rest of Michigan is sad, dilapidated, falling apart and unemployed, my friends and I had trouble getting a table at a patio on the very crowded and admittedly very kitschy main street on a Wednesday night.

While we were there, spending our money, a horse-drawn carriage passed by.

3 comments:

  1. was the patio at the curb??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collingwood hopefully has a strong stoop and scoop policy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've gone 'fake' with everything else in the downtown - why stop now?

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.