Saturday, February 19, 2011

If you can't say something nice...

I've been struggling for things to write about in this space for the last few days, not because I have nothing to say, but because a winter funk has left me with very little that wouldn't seem like petty complaining.

I recently finished a book called The Happiness Project, an extremely thoroughly researched piece of stunt journalism which reinforced some notions most of our grandmothers would have espoused. Gretchen Rubin says there is happiness to be found in focusing on the positive and maintaining a happy mien in the face of the blues.

In that spirit, here are some positive observations:

I'm glad I have a new dishwasher, yes glad, even though the one declared dead last weekend was only a few months off warranty. I am happy we were able to pay for the new one outright while supporting a local business. I'm thrilled my sweetie knew how to install the new dishwasher in time for the dinner party I had organised. While not ecstatic about it, waiting even longer to save up for the items I was hoping to buy with the cash we laid out for the dishwasher will teach me patience. Patience is a good quality to cultivate.

hmmmmmm.
I'm not sure it's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.