Friday, March 2, 2012

Introducing

It was quite a thrill when I got to meet and introduce Stephen Lewis at an event at Blue Mountain a few years ago, and my sweetheart assures me I gushed just enough, but not too much as I brought the loquacious humanitarian to the stage.

Introducing other people has turned into a bit of a sideline for me, as I get frequent requests to host events and be Master of Ceremonies.

Tomorrow night, at a fundraiser for My Friends House, I get to introduce Dan Needles, the playwright whose work seems to be woven through my life.

I had my heart very badly bruised by a philandering redhead after a family outing to a Needles show at the Hummingbird centre quite some time ago. (So long ago, it was still called the Hummingbird Centre....) I knew something was up when the rotter wouldn't hold my hand during the performance. Sure enough, after he took me home to my tiny hovel in Cabbagetown, he told me he needed a break from our relationship, which had become too intense for him. It was several months later and in rather dramatic fashion that I found out he needed a break from me because he had already moved in with another girl. They're married with two kids now (thanks facebook!), so I guess she really was the one for him. I just wish he'd had the strength of character to tell me the truth, instead of spinning his long, long list of lies and leaving me wondering for months what I had done to drive him away. Turns out, it wasn't me at all, he was just a lying cheater.

On a happier Needles note, one weekend when I was in college in London, I was so poor (OK, I had spent all my OSAP at the bar), I couldn't pay for the gas to drive three hours home. But I was dreadfully homesick and there was a 'pay what you can' matinee performance of the latest 'Letter from Wingfield Farm' at the theatre in the city's downtown. So, for two bucks, I spent the afternoon with the the people I know who lived in his play. I swear one guy was directly drawn from my Uncle Don, although Dan would never tell.

I expect I'll use those stories when I introduce Dan on Saturday night. The fundraiser is sold out, so I hear, just like many of Dan's performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.