Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games

This is not supposed to be a book I care about, as it's been so very, very long since I was a teen or a tween or whatever we called those people, waaay back in the 80s and 90s.

But I devoured The Hunger Games a year ago when a girlfriend loaned me the three books in the futuristic dystopian series, and I bought my own copies not long afterwards.

I re-read the first one yesterday, in anticipation of today's big movie release, and it's just as good as it was the first time I read it.

What's not to like about a powerful teenage girl who feeds her family, gets angry fights like a tiger and is ambivalent about love? I don't see myself in Katniss Everdeen, but I'd like to, and the story, while gory, seems plausible, especially in our 1 percent world.

As for the movie? Who cares? I'm not there to see a masterpiece, I'm there to see the book I really enjoyed, acted out. My only question is whether I go on my own, drag my sweetie to see it or wrangle a group of buddies who've read it. Perhaps it will be all of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.