Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Games Impressions

It it just me, or are the women the more fascinating athletes at the games in London?

Yeah, yeah, Phelps, Bolt, whatever. It's the girls that appear to be doing the most interesting stuff.

Jessica Zelinka, for example. Heptathlon. And no, I didn't remember from the last games there even was such a thing, but Zelinka is fascinating for her work ethic, and the sheer volume of effort it takes to perform in seven (SEVEN!)events. I thought Zelinka was amazing before the games began, and then I saw her within her cohort of competitors. Among them, she was one more normal, fantastically fit amazing fighter. What does it take to have every single muscle in one's body so perfectly chiseled? Most of us are afraid even to contemplate the work.

Now, things didn't go so well for Zelinka in her event, but she and her fellow Olympians. Just...wow.

As for triathlete Paula Finlay, who cried her way across the finish line, I admit to being less than sympathetic until I learned her story. She hadn't competed in a year because of an injury, and split up with her coach about eight weeks ago, but went on to compete and did finish the race, albeit dead last and apologizing as she limped along the way.

One my of my father's favourite sayings was, 'Don't crow if you win, and don't cry if you lose,' but I think this girl deserved to break that rule, finishing in spite of pain and embarrassment and upset. That's what I call a winner.

All that being said, I simply cannot wrap my head around some of the events; they're just too confusing. What's with the bicycle race that appears to be about who can go the slowest? Can someone please explain why the bicycle guys have to go up and around each other so much? Furthermore, can anyone tell my what it matters whether Gabrielle Douglas has a bun or a ponytail? Yes, while we're marvelling at some women's strength, others are still judged by their looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated cuz I hate trolls and sealions. And, this should really go without saying, but please think twice and be nice when commenting.